Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Changing Focus

A few weeks ago,  I was surprised when the 3yr old I watch gave me some wise advise.  I'll call her "Yogurt"  (It's the Spaceballs version of Yoda, but hey, one of her favorite foods happens to be yogurt).   I was in the living room having a tea party with Yogurt and Otto the Polar Bear when all of a sudden she got serious.  She looked at me and said, "Cass, life changes.  It always does.  And I can't do anything about it."  
Quickly I turned Yogurt around and looked for the zipper to this very life-like "child suit" she was wearing.  I couldn't find it.  Then I tried to pull off her well-made "little girl" mask, but it wouldn't come off!  Eventually I came to the realization that I had been mentally trumped by a 3yr old,  and I also came to the realization that God was speaking to me through this precious child.


There are many of us who have recently entered a season of change (and everyone should say Amen!).  Some are adding to family and some are "leaving and cleaving".  Some are moving and establishing new lives with new relationships and some are cultivating where they are and the relationships they are in.  Some are letting God tear down old mind-sets to make room for renewed mind-sets.  Some are off to plant with new vision while others will build on a vision where the foundation has been set by a forerunner who could only take it so far. Whatever the change is, it is ordained by God:


"There is a time for everything, a season for every activity under heaven.  A time to be born and a time to die.  A time to plant and a time to harvest.  A time to kill and a time to heal.  A time to tear down and a time to rebuild.  A time to cry and a time to laugh.  A time to grieve and a time to dance.  A time to scatter stones and a time to gather stones.  A time to embrace and a time to turn away.  A time to search and a time to lose.  A time to keep and a time to throw away.  A time to tear and a time to mend.  A time to be quiet and a time to speak up.  A time to love and a time to hate.  A time for war and a time for peace."  Ecclesiastes 3:1-8


All good things must come to an end so an even better thing can begin! I am so excited for the new thing God is doing in my life and I definitely know it's for my benefit, but i will be the first to admit that I'm a little, well, anxious about  the unknown details.  The "how's" and "why's" of jobs, money, houses, etc. etc. etc.  It's like wearing leather pants in the summer, seeing a grown man wear "jorts", or watching someone wear socks with sandals.  IT'S UNCOMFORTABLE!!!  But we can either learn to ride the wave or drown ourselves in it.


 It's what we focus on that will determine how we handle the change and how we handle life!  Jesus said it best:


"So don't worry about having enough food or drink or clothing.  why be like the pagans who are so deeply concerned about these things?  Your heavenly Father already knows all your needs, and he will give you all you need from day to day if you live for him and make the Kingdom of God your primary concern."  Matthew 6:31-33


It's as simple as that.  Making the Kingdom of God our primary concern.  If we learn to keep our focus on His Kingdom, loving others, and serving others instead of ourselves,  then it allows God to take care of the details in our own lives and the changes ahead without us getting in the way of His perfect plan.  We also end up finding ourselves worry-free like a child who says "Life changes. It always does. I can't do anything about it.....but I'll trust and obey."


"If your first concern is to look after yourself, you'll never find yourself.  But if you forget about yourself and look to me, you'll find both yourself and me."  Matthew 10:39 msg


"I pray that from his glorious, unlimited resources he will give you mighty inner strength through his Holy Spirit.  And I pray that Christ will be more and more at home in your hearts as you trust in him.  May your roots go down deep into the soil of God's marvelous love.  And may you have the power to understand, as all God's people should, how wide, how long, how high, and how deep his love really is. May you experience the love of Christ, though it is so great you will never fully understand it.  Then you will be filled to the fullness of life and the power that comes from God.  Now glory be to God!  By his mighty power at work within us, he is able to accomplish infinitely more than we would ever dare to ask or hope."  Ephesians 3:16-20

3 comments:

  1. Hi! I stumbled upon your blog and love what you have to say! I noticed that we attend the same church- I've seen you singing! Hope you don't mind if I follow. =)

    -Christina

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! Thank you so much!:) I would love it if you followed me! it'll make me feel as though more people are reading:) Please come say hi next time we're at church:)! sometimes it's so hard to connect there because of the different services;P

    -Cassy

    ReplyDelete