Thursday, July 21, 2011

The Transition

  Last month my husband and I FINALLY transitioned into a new season in our lives.  Over the past four and a half years, God had us in a place where He spent some time preparing us.  When I say He "spent some time preparing us," what I really mean is "it was the best and worst time in our lives."  You know, one of those times where people say to you "what doesn't kill ya makes ya stronger," but while they're saying it you are daydreaming that your punching them in the knee caps.
In hindsight, they were right.  Last season changed us.  It was great at times and very painful at times, but we knew God had us there for a reason.




"We continue to shout our praise even when we're hemmed in with troubles, because we know how troubles can develop passionate patience in us, and how that patience in turn forges the tempered steel of virtue, keeping us alert for whatever God will do next.  In alert expectancy such as this, we're never left feeling shortchanged.  Quite the contrary-- we can't round up enough containers to hold everything God generously pours into our lives through the Holy Spirit!"  Romans 5:3-5 msg


We came out stronger, wiser, and ready.  Ready to go to where God wanted us to go, and to do what He wanted us to do.  Ready for the birth of the new.


Now, the transition period was a little longer than I had imagined.  I thought that when we felt the "stirring" we would immediately find out where God was sending us next.  Like maybe we'd be gone in a month or so.  Wrong-o.  It was more like a year or so.  The most confusing year of my life.  At first we thought we were going, then staying, then going.  Opportunities would arise and doors would open, but they weren't the ones God wanted us to walk through.  I felt all over the place.  My head and my emotions were pretty much like Corky Romano......



  All kidding aside, God knew what He was doing, even when I didn't.


"For your Father knows what you need before you ask Him." Matthew 6:8


 He was teaching us to wait on Him and his timing.  God was preparing a place for us and providing the means for us to be able to afford the move.
     Finally the time came when God told us where to "Go."  As soon it happened, everything snapped into place very quickly.  Our jobs transitioned smoothly and ended right on time.  We found an apartment in a beautiful area, right on time.  It was so exciting that God was sending us to one of the most beautiful cities in America to help plant a new church and ministry!  This was going to be a whole new life for us!  I was in la-la land.


It was time pack up and get ready to go.   I was mentally prepared... or at least i thought I was.  As the weeks went on,  I started to feel as though everything was getting messy.   It's the same feeling as when your eating spaghetti, and no matter how much you try to stop it, a big saucy meatball boogie boards down your white shirt.  All of my wonderful "crap" was piled up in boxes, my car started to go lady-gaga on me, the moving expenses continued to pile up, and some relationships got tense.  I began to wonder what in the heck was going on here?! 
Weren't things supposed to go more smoothly?  Like perhaps all of my belongings would be transported on a fluffy white cloud guided by doves, all while I sipped on a frosty beverage served to me by cherubs.  The money, of course, would be provided to me by the money tree growing in my back yard and not from my savings.


And then through the chaos I heard the Lord speak.  He said, "giving birth is messy."  


Leave it to God to be right!  We were giving birth to a new season in our lives.  And things were bound to get messy and feel disorganized.   And trust me, after the transition I am still feeling a mix of emotions, just like a lot new parents do.  They say parents with new babies can go from experiencing pure love, to total fear, to regret, to anxiety, and back to total bliss all in thirty seconds.  And it's from the uncertainty of not being in "the groove" yet and not really knowing what to do or what exactly to expect because its new.  And that's human. 


One thing I do know is that the Lord is faithful and His promises are steadfast.  God would never send us to a place and then not sustain us.  


"The Lord is trustworthy in all he promises and faithful in all he does.  The lord lifts up all who fall and lifts up all who are bowed down.  The eyes of all look to you, and you give them their food at the proper time.  You open your hand and satisfy the desires of every living thing." Psalm 145:13-16 NIV


"I know what I'm doing.  I have it all planned out--plans to take care of you, not to abandon you, plans to give you the future you hope for." Jer. 29:11 MSG




When it's all said and done, I really truly know that in this season things are going to be great!  Will it be all roses and and fairytales?  Nope.  But God is a good Father.  He is looking out for our best interest and the best interests of those he sends us to.


"He trained us first, passed us like silver through refining fires, brought us into hardscrabble country, pushed us to our very limit.  Road-tested us inside and out, took us to hell and back;  Finally he brought us to this well watered place."  Psalm 66:11,12 msg


Fun Fact:  the Connecticut state motto means "He who transplanted continues to sustain."  thanks Katie Pichotta;)



   

No comments:

Post a Comment