Monday, February 28, 2011

Patience to the Point of Explosion

   It seems as though we are on the cusp of something big about to happen (Ooh, cusp!  I haven't used that word since SAT prep in high school english ten years ago.  Yes, I said ten.  But I graduated when i was eleven, didn't you?).   I've been feeling like I am ready for a change!  Not a change like "I want to cut my hair off, dye it purple, bungee jump off Brooklyn bridge, and become a professional muskrat wrangler" but more like a "new season" change.
     My husband and I have been experiencing a transition, so to speak, over the past year.  We really haven't been sure if we've been coming or going.  One thing we do know is that we've been waiting.  Waiting for some promises to come into now.
    The past couple of days I've been feeling like I'm going to explode if something doesn't give.    And then God reminded me of something that happened three years ago.


   My husband drove an old 98 Malibu with 270,000 miles on it that I endearingly called "My Boo".  It was the first car I ever owned and she was paid for.  I babied "My Boo", and she was good to us.  Little  did I know, she was misbehaving due to her age.  My husband didn't tell me she could die any day now.     
     One day he was traveling home from working in Greenwich on 95 north (which I also endearingly call "The Bain of My Existence") and traffic was coming to an abrupt stop ahead.  Needless to say, he was hit from behind and pushed into the car in front of him, totaling the Malibu.  Thank God he was untouched, but now we had to deal with getting another vehicle.  We really needed a new car, but in this way?
   The next month was a nightmare trying to get money from the insurance company.  What should have taken a week took a month to get settled.  Consequently I was one frazzled lady.  I scoured ads, dealerships, and craigslist alike for cars.  We always consult the Lord about our decisions, but i was at the point where I wanted to take out a loan to get something because I was desperate.  But we just didn't feel peace about any decision, even though we really needed something.  Finally after a month of waiting, we received a measly check of $3,000 for the car.  The only thing I could think was "Good luck getting something that's not a piece of junk for that price in Connecticut."  During this time I joked with my husband, asking him when we would buy our Saab, since I had a dream about driving one the year before.  We laughed because we knew they were expensive to own and expensive to fix. 
     One day on my way to work I saw a little beater car that was right around our price range.  I offered the owner close to the price and in cash no less.  I was sure he'd take it since it was greenback, right?  Wrong.  He refused to sell it to me for a few hundred less than I had.  I left crying hysterically.  I beat my fists on the steering wheel of the loaner car.  I punched the air.  I wanted God to pity us.  He had always taken care of us, but it just seemed as though this time we were in a very unfortunate pickle. 
     When I got home, I turned on the computer, sobbing of course, and looked at craigslist again for the hundredth time.  I saw an ad for a Saab 9-5 with 89,000 miles on it for $3500.  I kelly blue booked it and found that it was worth $10,000.   I laughed because I thought it was a scam, but I decided to test the waters any way.  I emailed the seller and waited.
  The next thing I knew, I got an email from the seller saying he lived in the area and he would be glad to show it to us.  He left his number.  So I called my husband and he wasn't sure about the whole thing.  A friend told me that if this guy was legit, he should let me bring my mechanic to come check it out first.   I laughed at her because who in their right mind would offer THAT?   I wasn't sure about it all, but I called the seller back.  I kept asking questions, and he could hear my hesitancy.  He told me the muffler would eventually need replaced, so he would knock $500 off.  THEN without me even asking, he told me if i wanted to i could have my mechanic take a look at it before i made a decision.  I almost peed my pants.   Literally.
   I called my husband back and we discussed things.  We actually got in a little argument and I told my husband I was hanging up and calling the seller back to cancel everything (real mature, right).  As soon as I hung up to call the seller, my phone died!  I couldn't turn it back on for thirty minutes.  Thirty minutes!!!  I said, "ok God.  I get it.  I dreamt I was driving a Saab.  I find one for the EXACT amount of money we got back.  The guy tells me to have my mechanic come look at it.  Then when I go to cancel everything, my phone dies.  Point taken."
    So I made arrangements to go see the car the next day.  One thing was missing though.  I didn't know any mechanics, and the thought of fixing anything on that car made me cringe due to the expense of parts.  
   That night we had a young adults meeting.  We ended up praying for a young man and the Lord touched him.  As we talked later on, I asked him what he did for a living.  He told me that he was a mechanic, and he "really loved working on restoring Saabs," and if we ever needed anything to let him know.  WAIT.  WHAT!!!  God dropped a mechanic, who happened to restore Saabs, right into our laps.
   To make this long story short (or longer).  Our new friend looked at the car.  It was a good car and it became ours.  The Lord gave us something good.  And all we had to do was wait for it.  


I know I was reminded of this story for this simple fact:  God knows what we need.  He knows the desires of our heart (whether it be new leather boots, a car, a house, or a destiny).  He knows what His promises are to us.  Most of the time we just need to wait a little, even if it is to the point of feeling like an internal explosion is about to happen.   And it's at this point where change ends up occurring.




"But if we hope for what we do not yet have, we wait for it patiently."  Romans 8:25



If the insurance money wasn't held up for a month, and I wasn't refused when it came to buying other cars, we would have missed the right timing for God's best for us.  Everything was hanging in the balance of timing.   Did I fight being patient tooth and nail?  Yes.  Did I complain about it?  Yes.  Am I happy that God made me wait to the point of impending explosion, even though I petitioned Him?  Yes!


"And so after waiting patiently, Abraham received what was promised." Hebrews 6:15


So I know I need to take what I learned from this situation and apply it to the life change and promises I've been waiting for.  Have I cried about it?  Yes.  Have I complained about it?  Yes.  Will I be glad that God made me wait till the point of what feels like an internal Hiroshima is looming?   I am sure of it.


"That's why we can be so sure that every detail in our lives of love for God is worked into something good."  Romans 8:28


" Take delight in the Lord, and he will give you the desires of your heart.  Commit your way to the Lord;  trust in him and he will do this:  He will make your righteous reward shine like the dawn, your vindication like the noonday sun.  Be still before the Lord and wait patiently for him..." Psalm 37:4-7



2 comments:

  1. What a good post. Definitely a much needed reminder for me at this specific point in time. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So nice to hear that Darylee:)!

    ReplyDelete